From:
"sue.holden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:22:43 +0100
We have about 5 mother and baby units in our women's prisons.  The babies are
born in hospital ( we have just successfully campaigned to have the shackles
removed whilst in labour), and then returned to the MBU within hours of the
birth.  they have prison officers in the room when they deliver - whether they
are  male or female depends on the roster. The babies are kept with the mothers
all the time in the first x number of weeks.  This includes being locked into a
cell with them alone at night.  Then when the mothers are required to return to
work, the babies go into a nursery.

Breastfeeding is not a problem as their rates are exceedingly low.  One prison
was very proud of a mother who arrived in hospital with twins and breastfed
them.

Depending on the unit the babies are separated from their mothers at either 9
months or 18 months depending on the policy of the unit.  No exceptions are
given and if the mothers are still breastfeeding (yeah as if) then they are
encouraged to wean long before this happens.

If you want more detailed information contact Sheila Kitzinger (she has her own
web page).  she is passionately involved with this topic and it was her that
instigated the unshackling in labour.

Remember if these women had good lawyers, many of them would not be in prison at
all, especially as many of them have dependants outside the prison.  However
women living on the poverty line cannot afford good lawyers and get what they
are given and there is very little sympathy for pregnant women over here (she
just got pregnant to get out of the prison sentence!)

Most of the information can be found on the HM Prisons site, and by visiting
Sheila's site.  I am not breaking any confidences here.

And not that I am aggrieved or anything.

Sue H.