From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:24:54 +1000
Stephen Heersink considered some versions of Schubert symphonies,
concluding:

>That covers most of the symphonies, except for 1, 2, 4, and 7 (I'm using
>the old numbering system).  That's quite a chunk of unfulfilled desire!

I'm a big fan of the early symphonies on Naxos conducted by Michael Halasz.
Nos 1 and 2 are on one CD, and you can get #4 with the orchestration of
the Grand Duo, which Naxos wisely calls Symphony in C:  it is sometimes
referred to as the Gastein symphony, but whatever it is, it makes
interesting listening.

I don't think the old numbering system under which the Great symphony was
#7 is used any more, although DG hung out for some years calling it No 9
(7).  I have a very old mono Vanguard LP of a Weingartner orchestration of
his Symphony in E, which I've always thought of as #7.  I've forgotten just
what it's an orchestration of, if I ever knew, and I don't think the notes
were very illuminating.

There is also a Symphony #10 which contains a magnificent slow movement
that eerily foreshadows Mahler.  The rest of the symphony is worth hearing
too.  Additionally there are odd symphonic movements that have been
recorded by Marriner and Mackerras and possibly others.

AFAIK, there is no definitive numbering of the Schubert symphonies but what
I've outlined might help.  Otherwise, it's a can of worms perhaps best left
unopened.

Richard Pennycuick