From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:04:02 -0300
Mohammad Iqbal wrote:

>I can see that Paganini was a showy man.  All his works require
>an outstanding performers.  But the music itself has no sensation and
>no passion just virtuosity.

Paganini has been always victim of this opinion, (which in some way is
true).  Yes, the music of Paganini requires a lot of virtuosism, but I
don't agree when you say that it has no sensation or passion.  The second
movement of the violin concerto in D major (just for quoting an example)
is a good romantic piece.  In fact, virtuosism in Paganini's music is the
main way for expressing passion (and even it could be said that the entire
romanticism is "showy").  Don't you think that Paganini resembles Liszt in
this aspect?

Pablo Massa