From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:49:54 GMT
Folks:  Here is what I think is an interesting anecdote received from
TipWorld.com this morning.  I hope some of you enjoy it:

   Debussy's "La Mer" ("The Sea"), a series of three connected symphonic
   poems, stirred up controversy after its composition in 1904.  During
   one performance by the Orchestre Colonne (it is not certain whether
   this was a rehearsal or a performance; for the sake of storytelling,
   we hope for the latter), the music so agitated the musicians that
   they contrived silliness to take their minds off it.  One of the
   orchestra's musicians crafted a small boat made of music paper and
   navigated it across the floor with his foot.  Other musicians passed
   it with their feet through the sections.  Before long, a fleet of
   paper boats was winding between feet and music stands all over the
   orchestra as it continued to play "La Mer."

   Copyright(C) 2000 Topica Inc. All Rights Reserved. TipWorld is a
   registered trademark of Topica Inc.

"Ron Chaplin" <[log in to unmask]>