From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:40:39 +0000
Magic moments in Haydn? There are so many of them I could write a thesis
on the subject.  In another post I mentioned number 18.  In this work we
can clearly hear the fusion of different european styles taking place in
the early days of the symphony.  That's magic to me.

Then there's the Maria Theresa.  Someone once said that anyone finding
genius in the early symphonies was showing off but someone not finding
genius in this is blind (or words to that effect).  That's way off the
mark but the Maria Theresa remains an astonishing work because now Haydn is
not playing around with styles he's playing around with emotions big time.

The S&D works should be much wider known.

Dorati's version of the "Echo" symphony is one of the great successes in
his series.  When the final upbeat cheerful movement comes the listener
needs it.  Such is the emotional strain of the work that, this moment can
move me tears on its arrival.

A similar thing happens in number 80.

"La Chase" has been criticised by HC Robbins-Landon and others for being
cobbled together from opera bits.  Who cares? I think the overture in the
final movement rests beautifully where it sits.  Works for me.

Another cobbled together work "Il Distrato" is one of the few 18c
symphonies with more than 4 movements.  The music may be reused but an
original and entertaining symphony results.

I'd better stop here...

Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Someone recently expressed the opinion that Haydn's best symphonies are
>82 onwards.  I have a number from before that which I really like - 40,
>43, 45, 48, 53, 57, 60, 61, 63, 71, 73, and that's just on a quick thought.
>Some time ago, I mentioned #71 in particular because of what sounds like
>a very strange key in the last movement, but it seems to be one that is
>rarely recorded.  Maybe Naxos will eventually get to it.  Anyway, let's
>hear it for the "other" Haydn symphonies - there's some great stuff there!

I stand by my estimate of a 75% masterpiece hit rate in Haydn's symphonies.
That's 75+ works.  There are only 24 late symphonies so there's another 50
masterpieces out there.  I say to anyone who hasn't explored them why not?

Bob Draper