From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 16:37:17 -0700
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Mimi Ezust wrote:
>
>>On stringed instruments there is more resonance if the key chosen contains
>>open strings.  The most resonant would be key of C FOR Cello, key of D for
>>violin.
>
>I wonder why.  As I recall, on the violin, the D string is neither the
>highest not the lowest.  Apparently some other property must govern
>intensity of resonance.

I think it has more to do with the range in which you're playing the violin
and how many of the notes you need to play will tend to be on open strings.
In a normal D Major piece, 2-3 strings used often are open).  In the key of
G...  the violin won't often play so low as to use the low G much and would
emphasize B more than the open A, but G Maj would be a contender too
otherwise:-)

Andrys in Berkeley
http://andrys.com/books.html - Search sheet music, CDs
http://andrys.com/books.html#videos - Classical music videos