From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 17:42:13 -0400
I've had this for several months (Japanese issue) and have listened to it
several times.  I feel it is a very interesting recording, and those who
complain about his Mahler being "detached" will find him more involved in
Bruckner.  It is a live recording made at St.  Florian in 1996.  I found
the recording has significant emotional impact (while not being quite at
the level of Furtwaengler's wartime recording - few recordings would ever
approach that) and it is very well played.  There are a few details in the
string playing and phrasing (yes, despite most allegations, Boulez knows
how to phrase) that are unconventional, but interesting.  I feel the
orchestra responded well and the recorded sound is good, surprisingly not
over-reverberant for St.  Florian.

David Hurwitz gave it a 10/10 in his rating scheme (see
www.classicstoday.com).  Everything is relative, but it is a solidly
good recording.  His live 9th with the CSO was, I feel, even better (not
officially recorded, but broadcast tapes exist).  The wait is now on for
his VPO 9th, which I understand will be recorded by DG, probably in Vienna
(Americans will have a chance to see him conduct it with the VPO at
Carnegie next March).

I should point out that others (whose opinions I respect) have not
reacted so favorably.  As with anything Boulez does, opinions will be
mixed, but there is no question the man has studied his Bruckner carefully.
I understand there are some problems in the writeup regarding the Haas
edition (which he uses), but overall this is a more than worthy issue.
It's on a single disc

Ramon Khalona