From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:15:55 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I love cartoon music, especially that of Warner Brothers' ones.  I don't
>remember now the names of the composers of the scores, but they were great
>musicians, indeed.  There's a book by Roger Prendergast ("Film Music, a
>Neglected Art") in which the author analyzed the process of composition,
>recording and synchronization of this music: when we listen to it, it
>sounds so "natural" and easy, but doing it was really a hell's work.

I agree that some of the most brilliant film music has been original
creations (and appropriate borrowings) for cartoons.  The tracks for
Warner Brothers Looney Toons (Bugs, Road Runner and many others) were
primarily written by Carl Stalling from the late thirties through the late
50s.  Examples on compact disk may be found in a collection called the "The
Carl Stalling Project Volume 2" collected from this period (Warner Brothers
9 45430-2.) The prequel collection Vol.  1 may still be available.  The
music tells wonderful stories without picture, especially if you view the
scenarios your mind's eye.  Many of the most amusing, IMHO, are the put-
ons of opera scenarios including Bugs playing Brunhilda in the Wagner
classic.  (One CD track includes the orchestra breaking up into laughter
following the directors announcement of the title slate for "The High And
The Flighty," a 1956 WB send up.) The monophonic sound is remarkably good
considering the broad time frame from which this material was lovingly
drawn.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA