Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:43:19 -0500
From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Bill Pirkle on the essentials of music as he and his computer see it:

>- Music must not create boredom and must be pleasurable to listen to.  ...
>
>- Boredom normally results if the composition is the mere playing of these
>themes over and over.
>
>Can we agree on any of these?

Not me!!!  Music as a way of avoiding boredom? That just does not capture
the essence of the enterprise, at least IMHO.  These are grim and joyless
precepts which move music out of the "humanities" column and into something
else- perhaps an exercise in behavioral psychology.  There is no emotion,
no spark, no soul, no vision here.  Music minus music.

Bernard Chasan