Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 21:34:30 +0200
From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Ron Chaplin [[log in to unmask]] replies to Bernard Chasan:

>>And I assume that since you want to "hear a modern piece written in the
>>>classical style", you would not want such a forgeries.
>
>Bernard, it finally dawns on me what your point is.  I think that one thing
>that unites all lovers of music is the desire to hear something genuine, to
>hear a sincere expression.  I would have no interest in hearing a knock-off
>trying to be in the exact style of Haydn or Mozart.
>I apologize for being so thick.

I know a very good example of someone who (relatively) successfully aped
someone elses style:  The Swede Andreas Hallen (1846-1925) aping Rickard
Wagner.  The operas of Hallen are very good to me, but they don't have
the geniality of Wagner, but they sound very much like him.  I don't think
there is anything bad with this aping, rather I enjoy hearing those operas
Wagner never had time to write, and for the aping:  I think it is
fascinating to hear someone succeed in copying anothers style so
completely.  That must also be great art somehow!!

Mats Norrman