From:
Michael Churchill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:45:15 -0500
At 09:52 AM 10/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/23/00 9:32:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> I am looking for information on the pyramid at the cell base
>I believe it is just efficient use of materials. The "pyramid" forms 1/3 of
>the base of 3 cells on the other side of the comb.

There was an interesting article, "The Honeycomb Conjecture" in the July
24, 1999 "Science News" (Vol 156, Issue 4; pp 60-61) regarding studies
about the shape of honeycomb.  In summary (based on my memory of the
article), the hexagon is the most efficient means of covering a
2-dimensional area with a regular, repeating pattern.  This is why
honeycomb cells are hexagonal in cross section.

The pyramidal shape for the botton is actually _not_ the most effecient
shape.  There is another pattern which uses small rhombus's at the corners
that actually is slightly "better" - at least mathamatically.  Studies
using soap films between two plates (blowing uniform bubbles in a double
layer between two sheets of glass) showed that the pyramid/rhombus layout
was achieved.  As they thickened the density of the soap film, however, the
bubbles switched to the pyramid configuration that bees use.  They
conjectured that there is a benefit to the pyramidal shape for thicker
substances.

Sorry this description is not clearer - a picture is worth a thousand words.

The article is no longer available for free, but can be purchased for $2.50 US.

For a copy, visit http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sciencenews/ and search for
"bees and honeybomb".

Mike

Mike Churchill, Beginning Beekeeper | What's the buzz all about?
http://www.netmechanic.com - Power Tools for Your Web Site
Link and HTML testing, Server Reliability Testing, Website Promotion Tools