From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:14:16 +0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>DG recently issued a new recording of Schumann's piano concerto performed
>by Pires/Abbado; it is coupled with Schumann's Piano Quintet.  Has anyone
>heard this new recording? I've seen it in the stores and have some interest
>in it.  But, I do have many versions of the concerto and don't want to
>spend money on a mediocre one.

I just bought it but have as yet only listened to the quintet, a piece of
which I am particularly fond.  I am sorry to say that, while being well
played, it doesn't add much to what I already knew about it.  But then I've
only heard it once so this is not a definitive judgement.  And there *is*
something special about the way Pires handled the piano part which seems
somewhat *sturdier* than most.  I am not surew ehther this is an advantage
though.  You asked about the concerto.  I haven't heard it yet so this is
not a very useful post ;)

Philip