From:
Dorothy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 15:36:21 -0400
To Ulvi, Pablo, and everyone:
        Strange!  I had thought I was enjoying Bach and Beethoven all these
years.  I was even PLAYING Bach this very morning and enjoying it.  (Of
course, it WAS the "Italian" Concerto.)
        I'm delighted to be an honorary Italian.  But I had always thought
the essence of Bach was melody.  Isn't that what counterpoint is,
interweaving melodies?  If they include harmonies and rhythms along the way,
that's all right, too.
         Dorothy