From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 18:56:23 -0700
Well Chandos certainly has been answering my musical prayers lately.
First they release one of the best performances and recordings of the
music of Franz Schreker yet, and now on its way--Prokofiev's opera, "War
and Peace," conducted by Richard Hickox. (Please don't let it be a live
recording.)

I like the Rostropovitch on Erato, but the soprano isn't the best.  The
Gergiev soprano on Philips is slightly better, but the overall musical
conception isn't as grand as Rostropovich's.  If you are a Prokofiev fan,
and aren't familiar with the music of War, you can sample a suite from the
opera arranged by Christopher Palmer on another Chandos CD, (9096)
performed by Neeme Jarvi and the Philharmonia.  Great stuff.

I am also looking forward to a Chandos new release of the music of Novak,
including the symphonic poem, "Die Profundis." for large orchestra and
organ--my favorite phrase.   Other interesting releases include the
Ligeti/Norgard Violin Concerti, and the lesser known:) Bach transcriptions
for large, romantic orchestra.  Yum!

John Smyth