From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:51:12 -0500
Alex Renwick wrote:

>I was listening last night to Handel's Israel in Egypt and got to
>wondering who the greatest composer of choral music was.  My choice
>was Handel followed closely by Palestrina.
>
>What do others on the list think?

Handel's always been at the top of my "Greatest Choral Music Composer"
list, too.

Another composer I would add would be Michael Praetorius.  McCreesh's
and Monrow's recordings of his choral music blew me away.

I also have a special fondness for Beethoven's choral works, but to
describe him as a "choral composer" per se is a bit of a stretch.

Mark K. Ehlert