From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:35:09 -0300
Christopher Webber:

>"Parsifal" is not an 'expression' of anything.  The question of racial
>superiority is undeniably part of its disturbing web and woof.  In the
>reality of the theatre - the most potent way to experience the opera -
>the Grail Knights are often currently portrayed that way, so the image
>must carry resonance for many.  (The recent production at ENO in London
>portrayed them as broken down First World War German soldiers, to
>extremely powerful effect.)

May this extremely powerful effect be laugh, perhaps?.  I didn't see
that production, but honestly, I can't think of anything more bizarre.
That sort of neo-pagans looking for the Holy Graal with their gas masks,
fumigating half Europe...?

Robert Peters:

>It is not essential to define love and sex to enjoy it.  Let it be with
>music like this, too.  (In fact in both cases definition only cause harm.)

No, of course.  But talking about love and sex is an old and pleasant
entertainment.  I don't see the harm in defining love and music.  Didn't
Plato do it, while drinking and having fun with his friends?.

Pablo Massa