From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 04:00:56 -0400
James Tobin responded to Steve Schwartz:

>> I think all Stirling meant was that very few people, even those interested
>> in classical music, read any of these guys nowadays.  Other than excerpts
>> translated into English, I've never read Hanslick to the extent that I've
>> read the critical works of Berlioz, Schumann, Debussy, and Shaw.
>
>Peter Kivy, a nusically trained philosopher who has published about
>eight books and a lot of articles on musical aesthetics, makes much of
>Hanslick, who is read at least in aesthetics circles.

Both close - Hanslick is probably the commentator among the 19th century
academics read to day". Paritally because he was the most eloquent defender
of the Brahmsian camp, and partially because his ideas about art being
inaccessible are echoed by such writers as Adorno, Rosen etc.

Stirling Newberry
http://www.mp3.com/ssn