From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1904 00:22:24 -0400
Bernard remembers the halcyon days of Sarah, and wonders what the problems
are.

 From this side of the screen the problems seem two fold. First the BSO
consumes a lot of resources - it is a very expensive orchestra. Second
there are the people that can run an opera company, the people who can
stage and the people who can fund. And they don't talk to each other. At
least, not pleasantly.

The Lyric has the funding, but is, let us not mince words, run by musical
illiterates who cannot put a show that works on the boards. Caldwell is
exciting - for the first act, but has an ego even larger than she is, and
cannot cultivate good singing. Bradley Pennington of the Bel Canto opera is
a first class music director - but does not raise funds and does not have
the cache with the inside cliques that dominate the flow of attention and
money in musical circles in this town, nor can he raise a wave of devoted
volunteers.

So, as long as we are divided, and people put insider politics ahead of
an opera company - guess what - we won't have the intrigue, murder and
squabbling go on in front of the lights where they belong.

Stirling Newberry
http://www.mp3.com/ssn