Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 16:35:14 -0500
From:
"Charles L. L. Dalmas" <[log in to unmask]>
There is an urban legend about the premier performance of a Bartok String
Quartet where the cellist lost his place somewhere in the first thirty
measures of the last movement.  His compatriots became equally lost quite
quickly, but, all four kept on playing.  About fifteen measures from the
end of the piece, all of them got back together, and finished together.

To their great amusement, the audience rose in thunderous ovation, deeply
moved by the piece.  I guess that goes to show you that anything is
possible in the classical music world (if the story is true, which is not
proven).

Anyone else know more about this anecdote, such as which Quartet it
actually was, and if the story is true or not?  I'd appreciate a
confirmation!

Thanks,

Charles L. L. Dalmas
http://www.winternet.com/~davion