From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 10:01:56 -0700
Susan:  Sorry, I made an assumption about the ILU (I Love You) thing...my
fault...the pattern is descirbed in a few infant massage books as follows:
Start at the right hip of baby and stroke (start light, but work up to
deeper, long sweeps) upward toward the right rib side of rib cage (that's
the "I"); then make an upside down "L" from the right side of rib cage
across to the left side (horizontally just under the ribs where the
transverse colon runs) and down toward the left hip; then, start back at
right hip and make an upside down "U" over the entire area you just covered.
The idea is to follow the natural flow of the intestines.  Very gassy babies
will find this difficult, so I start by doing leg bicycling with them and
general massage.  If you never have done baby massage, there are two books
that I recommend:  one by Marybettes Sinclair and the other by Schneider
Mclain.  The massage helps with bonding, giving parents another "tool" to
help baby, and some research shows that massaged babies grow faster (both
because of increased appetite and independently of intake they absorb more).
Is this more clear now?
warmly
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.

RE: