From:
Stacy Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:30:40 EDT
Hi everyone I have been a lurker on this list for some time now and have learned so much from everyone.  I am an aspiring IBCLC and have recently had a mom call and ask me how to relactate.  Her baby is four months old and has been given only formula from a bottle for the last two months.  She has not pumped and has put the baby to the breast every once in a while but ends up back at the bottle because the baby is still hungry.  The good news is that the baby still is willing to take the breast, so at least this part won't be a battle.  What I am not sure about is exactly how to relactate.  I know she should put the baby to the breast often but if there is very little milk how does the baby get the nourishment it needs?  By offering the bottle you get back into that vicious circle and by not offering the bottle the baby doesn't get fed.  Would this be a situation for the SNS?  And if so how do you use it effectively?  As I have never dealt with this situation I would greatly a!
ppreciate any help you could give me!!!

Thank you in advance.

Stacy