From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 08:05:06 -0400
Hi Emily!
There have been some great explanations about viruses so I won't go into
that, but I thought you might be interested in my family's experience
with chickenpox.
I had it when I was about ten years old, and never had it again. So did
my husband.
When my three year old caught it from her friend, she passed it to her
older brother. Dan got a mild case - he was five years old and had
stopped nursing 2.5 years before. Abby herself had only just stopped
nursing, and she only got a few spots. The baby, who was completely
nursing, of course, didn't have any symptoms, but she did get the disease
later when she was in her early teens, a mild case.
(This is called anecdotal evidence, because it only comes from one source
- it is an anecdote  - so you can't take it as a general rule that this
would apply in every case.)

hugs from Norma, who is delighted to see this anecdotal evidence that
breastfeeding DOES increase IQ levels  - kudos to Kathleen as well as
Emily!

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY