From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:29:44 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/0 9:07:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< How would you rate homeopathic vs. flower essence therapies?  Do they seem
comparable to you as far as effectiveness?>>

Sharon,
I would not compare them in this way. I have used both in my family--flowers
for about 11 years, homeopathy for over 13 years. They are equally
effective--depending on the use and intention. Bach believed that all illness
is based in an emotional/spiritual imbalance, so the flowers act on that
level to restore balabce. Homeopathy acts to stimulate the body's natural
defenses in a balanced way. (Oversimplified--absolutely!)

<< What resources would you advise for someone getting into these therapies?

'
I have learned them both by using them myself and reading a lot. With Bach, I
took a fabulous course about 8 years ago and my family uses a homeopath from
whom I have learned more about healing than almost anyone. I suggest "The
Family Guide to Homeopathy" by Andrew Lockie and "Everyone's Guide to Homeopat
hic Remedies" by Ullman. But remember that it is a completely different
paradigm. For example, you would not treat everyone w/ a headache w/ the same
remedy--you would use a different one depending on many different aspects of
the overall picture. I personally recovered from endometriosis, *w/ no other
treatment except homeopathy and removing dairy from my diet*--was already
vegetarian, knew nothing about herbs. For Bach (there are many other
essences, but I prefer Bach for learning and even after learning I prefer
them), I suggest reading about Bach's process of discovering the flowers.
Mechthild Scheffer's "Bach Flower Therapy" is my favorite otherwise.

<<Although I am interested in their use for my breastfeeding clients (have a
bottle of Bach tucked in my bag), >>

I cannot tell you how many mothers have been saved from antibiotics by using
homeopathy for breast infections. It breaks my heart to see all of the
needless cases of thrush b/c so many HCP's are close-minded about other
modalities. IMO, Rescue Remedy is an essential mothering tool!

<<I must admit that I am also interested in using them on my daughter's horse
which seems to have an attention span deficiency (that's being generous).>>

Try the Bach Flower clematis. Homeopathically, I would not treat acutely--I
would treat this constitutionally. There are some good sites on-line for
holistic animal care.

<<I am also wondering about their use in allergic situations - my dh has
developed some rather severe allergies which are beginning to respond to diet
manipulation. Do you ever use them with your moms/babies with possible
allergies? >>

I have seen great success in treating allergies and asthma w/ homeopathy.
EFA's are also extremely important in treating allergies. You can email
privately if I can be of any more help.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA