From:
Barneveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 14:23:11 +1200
Just for the record a friend of mine on another board had a baby who only took 1oz EBM every three hours or so at childcare at this age.Feed "normally" at home weekends and nights (with frequent night nursing being regarded as normal here). His weight gain was very slow. His mom went through a very stressful marriage break up at about 4 and a half month and for a variety of reasons weaned (undiagnosed low thyroid being one factor - her tiredness etc was put down to stress) Anyway her baby still drank only a couple of ozs per feed at most on formula and his weight gain became almost non existant at times. He is now 17 months and has only just started to start gaining within a normal range again since about three months. All other developmental indicators are fine. Changing to formula also meant for him considerably higher levels of illness that also took a toll on his weight gain. I'd suggest that the mom and caregiver relaxed a bit about how much the baby is taking when mom is away. It also sounds as if the baby is catching up on time with mom in the marathon nursing sessions too because if the mom is pumping more than she takes while she is away there should only be minimal supply issues at most. I know one of the hardest things for me some nights (now the novelty ahs worn off) is the solid 30 minutes plus Jonathan wants to nurse at the end of the working day. Sonja