From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 08:50:12 EDT
Hi Chris,
I feel you are treading on dangerous waters when you recommend cutting a
shield. It would only take one case of a baby cutting their mouth to have a
potential law suit.  Even though you state how careful you are to smoothing
the edges, a mom may not take the necessary steps if she decides to do this
herself or tell other moms this is what they were told to do.
Babies can be weaned from the shield without cutting, some within days others
may need weeks or months.  We as LCs need to demonstrate patience with the
weaning process just as we try to encourage the mom's to do during the
establishment of breastfeeding.  Continue to think of the long range goal,
the baby is being breastfed.

Chris I am posting this on LN because other supporters of breastfeeding look
to LCs for guidance on how to approach a problem.  If the wisdom is
translated to them that shields are to be cut to wean, the potential for harm
is too great, and what will be lost is your careful steps of smoothing the
edges.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA