Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 08:31:59 +0100
><< Well, I cannot bear this attitude. It medicalises and
>  professionalises normal bf and in many cases does a huge amount of
>  harm (my observations, anyway). >>
>
>hey, don't tar everyone with the same brush!

I wasn't : ) The attitude I cannot bear was the one you outlined
shown by your colleague - one that refused to accept that mothers
could get good ifo and support from volunteer and non-medical sources.

>  i AM a medical professional (and
>still NOT a nurse!) and of course almost everyone i see has  a problem. so i
>AM giving out medical advice, as is everyone else with some kinds of initials
>after their name. if that advice is to go to a support group, then why is
>that bad? you can't have it both ways. you can't say you want medical types
>to embrace the volunteer groups and then criticize them for recommending them.

Carol - you've misunderstood me. I was critical of profs. who
*wouldn't* refer to a group. Of course some situations need medical
advice and intervention...and yes, over-medicalised and
institutionalised birth almost guarentees a warped bf experience.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK