From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:19:18 -0400
Bill Pirkle said:

>The gay thing comes from the attempt by some to associate him with the gay
>community to add a feather in the cap of the gay community and from some
>to reject any man who can play the piano, cook an omlet, play chess, and
>listen to classical music as gay, as if it makes their macho, sports fan
>mentailty more traditional and normal.

He forgot the most damning thing:  one who listens to Opera.  Wasn't some
conversation overheard back in the '50s where men were discussing opera
and this was one of the things that started McCarthy on his witch hunt?

Personally, I "play the piano, cook an omlet, play chess, and listen to
classical music", but I am not gay.  I haven't ccooked an omelet in years
and haven't played chess in even more years.  Somehow I was not aware until
relatively recently that Barbra Streisand is one of the gay icons.  I like
her singing very much.

I also like the purple and have a purple sofa and several purple or
lavender shirts.  I draw the line at pants.  However, I am not homophobic,
so I don't mind using Ben-Gay when I have a sore muscle.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan/ Updated May 2000