From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 07:31:28 PDT
Lately I've started listening to the complete set of Conlon Nancarrow's
Studies for Player Piano on Wergo, WER 6907 2, during my daily commutes.
I am actually starting to like the music.  It fascinates me that a
composer would write music for the player piano in the first place.

During my listening, I've been trying to figure out what Nancarrow is
doing.  Mimi Ezust, one of the gems of this list, has written that 'The
standard idea of an etude is a technical study "Etude" means "study," or
exercise'.  In these studies, is Nancarrow expressing definite ideas, or is
he experiementing to see how many combinations of tones he can get from a
player piano? The 5 CD set comes with a 140-page booklet.  I tried reading
it, but was overwhelmed by the technical language, and the mathematical
formulae, and soon gave up.  I know we've discussed Nancarrow before and
if I am restating what was discussed, I apologize.  However, if anyone has
any thoughts about this music, I would like very much to hear them.

Thanks, in advance.  All the Best,

Ron Chaplin