From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:42:38 -0700
Larry Sherwood <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Arnold Steinhardt, in his book "Indivisible By Four" that was recently
>recommended by Mimi Ezust on this list, relayed the following pre-concert
>conversation among the members of the Guarneri String Quartet:
>
>With that division of opinion on the part of such esteemed musicians,
>I guess I can comfortably go to my grave knowing that I have not decided
>on the merits of repeats in music. ...

They can like the repeat or not like it, but none of these or any musicians
have any business in tinkering with Haydn's compositional process, which is
what that crime-against-art practice of disregarding repeat instructions
amounts to.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: http://members.xoom.com/culvermusic/