From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:09:08 -0700
Mimi writes:

>Bill Pirkle wrote:
>
>>Do we really know what Chopin was trying to teach?.
>
>Yes.  Each of the etudes presents a different technical problem for the
>pianist to solve, gives exercises solving those problems, and does it in
>a highly musical fashion.  He was teaching piano players how to play the
>piano better and he did it with genius

I happen to think, and others maay disagree, that the harmonic richness of
the Chopin etudes was not necessary to merely teach technique.  Chopin's
approach to harmony is exhibited in the etudes as well.  Although this
point may be ultimately unresolvable, many other books of etudes are simple
exercises in finguring and lack any display of creative harmony.  But who
knows what the genius was thinking.

>The great composers already pretty much said all that can be said
>in their particular styles

Don't think I agree with that.  The shear number of possible melodies
expressed in a given style have bearly been touched upon - therer are
zillions of melodies that have not been discovered all of which could be
expressed in dozens of styles.

Thank you for the list. Many of the items were enlightening

Bill Pirkle