From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:39:12 EDT
I'm the accompanist for my high school choir.  After playing the piano for
the choir for the past semester, I was well exposed to choral music from
the 19th century and earlier.

We worked on some interesting songs.  We did "He, Watching Over Isreal"
(Mendhelssohn) in the District competition.  It was more relaxing for me
to play the song than for the choir to sing it because of the continuous
triplets throughout the piece.  We also did a piece called Kyrie Eleison
(spelling?).  It was an arrangement by some dude named Levitt (I think)
and it was arranged for SATB choir.  It was a beautiful arrangement.  There
has been a lot of arrangements (I think) for this particular song since
Medieval times.

Earlier in the year we worked on "The Last Words of David" for SATB choir.
Next year we will work on "Festival Sanctus" and some other odd works.
(Some pieces we do are a little on the odd side).  On the easier side, we
will work on "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".  This work by Bach is relaxing
for me to play also.(Great for weddings I might add)

I also participate in the choir as a tenor though I accompany more than I
sing.  My teacher will rather let me accompany since she knows I can handle
it.  I also takes a load of so she can have both hands free to direct and
teach.  (I also think she takes advantage of the fact that she doesn't have
to pay anyone to accompany since I'm always on hand for free)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to singing (and possibly playing on the staff)
in college.  I'm looking forward to working on harder works.  I also want
to find a good soloist so I can do "Ave Maria".  What do you all think
about the German Requiem by Brahms?

Jeremey