From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:15:56 -0500
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>I'm reading "Indivisible by Four" by Arnold Steinhardt, first violinist of
>the Guarneri String Quartet.
>
>I have been a fan of the quartet since their first recordings and concerts,
>and over the years I've read everything I could about them.

Mimi's comments bring back memories.  In the late sixties or early
seventies the Guarneri gave several free concerts one summer in Sanders
Theater on the Harvard campus.  I still remember a great performance of the
Brahms Clarinet Quintet.  The clarinetist was - well I am not sure- it may
have been Reginald Kell.

A recent discussion on this list dealt with live versus recorded music.
Much as I love recorded music the memory of that performance is a reminder
that the magic of a great live performance is not readily duplicated on a
cd.

Bernard Chasan