From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:53:39 PDT
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>I've been thoroughly pleased with the Naxos' series and the Kodaly
>Quartet performing Dvorak's Quartets.  The one exception is the most
>famous and probably most popular quartet, the "American."

I have the Kodaly discs and agree that the series is very rewarding with a
price tag that can't be beat.  Naxos, in my opinion, does a splendid job
with chamber music of the Romantic and later time periods.  I'm not so
enthusiastic about their chamber discs from the classical period.

>So, where does one go to for the "American?"  Perhaps others have
>suggestions; I haven't found one I yet like (maybe it's the piece).

It might well be the piece, because there are a good number of excellent
versions - Prazak on Praga, Stamitz on Bayer, and the Panocha on Supraphon
are just three highly idiomatic choices.

Don Satz