From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:08:32 -0700
William Strother <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>It is my opinion that ruling out a performance for the sole reason
>that a repeat was not played is pedantry going wild.

Which is, in essence, saying that the composers were pedantic for putting
them there in the first place.  What if I were to rule out a performance
solely due to the omission of an introductory phrase, or the development,
or an entire movement? I doubt if you would call that pedantic, but a
repeat is every bit as much a part of the work as are these elements by
virtue of the mere fact that the composer put them there.  Call it pedantic
if you want.  However, my view is in accordance with what the composers
wrote, and yours is not.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic