From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 21:35:09 -0400
Pablo Massa wrote:

>I propose a thread about favourite
>recordings of Mahler's 4th and 8th.  Here are my preferences:
>
>4th: Szell/Raskin (I love her childish voice praising the "himmlischen
>freuden") - Solti/ I don't remember who
>
>8th: Kubelik (BRO) (DG 1971)/ Vaclav Neumann/ Solti (the best I know,
>perhaps)/ Robert Shaw (Telarc).
>
>Does someone knows better recordings (older or newer)?

Over on the Mahler-List there's one answer for both of these: Horenstein.
I recently got the Horenstein Mahler 4 and heard it for the first time
yesterday.  Much darker than others I've heard, really refutes those who
thinks the 4th is a sunny work.  Others I have include Szell, which you are
familiar with; and Britten, which is notable for the fastest first movement
on CD.  But it's believable, to be sure.  The Horenstein Mahler 4 has been
withdrawn from general distribution but is available from MCML member Tim
Dickinson, at http://www.tdware.com/

I have no financial connection with tdware.com, nor did Tim ask me for a
plug.

For the 8th, I don't think you can beat Horenstein again (BBC Legends).
There is a sense of occasion on this disc that is shattering.  Sound is
more than acceptable.

Mitch Friedfeld