HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 15:34:46 +0200
John Forrest schrieb:
> I am an archaeology student researching the personal possessions of the
> crews (as distinct from officers) of ships in the historical period.
> I started by looking for material from nineteenth century ocean going
> ships wrecked around Australia but have had to broaden the catchment
> fields in the search for non-narrative sources.
> It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could point me to research
> and/or provenienced assemblages of sailors artefacts.

one place to contact might be some of the nautical museums - i know good ones in
lisbon and barcelona (to name two just off the top of my pointed head), but
there must be many more in scandanavia, northern germany, england, the whaling
areas of new england, etc. -

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/