HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 07:01:37 -0500
Allen Vegotsky wrote

>   I am about to start a cataloging project and would welcome a little
>advice.

snips happen

>I think I can do this with ACCESS,
>but I wonder if anyone out there can recommend an inexpensive, simple to use
>software for this project.  Comments and advice will be welcome.

Allen:

You probably have the best choice right in your computer already.

Almost any software can handle a file of this size. We have become
accustomed to thinking of specialized softwares, which harks back to the
days when each program did something different, within very limited ranges
of capabilities. But times have changed and the boundaries between types of
software have become increasingly fuzzy. A specialized database program is
great if you need relational databases or some sophisticated analysis.

But it seems to me that your needs could be met with a simple word
processor or spreadsheet, such as one finds bundled with the typical home
pc package. My first impulse would be to use Microsoft Word, with the table
function. Some versions of word do not have the math function. I use
Microsoft Word 5.1a for the Mac, which has all the math I need for such
functions as payroll and most site records.

If you are swapping between machines, a tab-delimited text file is the best
way to do the field recording. Just be sure you count tabs!

In essence, the rule in selecting an application is the old "Keep it
Simple, Stupid."

Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])
*   A garden without compost                            *
*   is like a car without a starter                     *