From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:17:59 -0400
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I would like to explore all of the symphonies (I think there are four)
>and I was very pleased with what I heard on BIS.  There is, however, a
>set recorded on Hyperion with the BBC Scottish SO with Jean-Yves Ossance
>conducting.  Does anyone have a strong opinion for or against either of
>these sets?

I have the Ossance and like it, though I haven't heard it in a while.  I
think I've read reviews that prefer the Sanderling--more expressive, less
exciting, though I'm not sure, and I haven't heard the Sanderling.  Another
good one is by Plasson, but I've got only the Fourth.  There's a terrific
Third which I do remember well, by Ansermet.  London LP probably on CD.
There's also an opera Guercoeur that's worth exploring, along with a couple
that haven't been recorded as far as I know.

>I would also be curious to learn more about this composer.  I don't have
>handy access to a Grove and a search on Classical net turned up with no
>entries for this composer.  A web search turned up very little useful
>information.  I am quite taken with this man's music and would love to
>hear more.  Recommendations by listers of any recordings of his music
>that are noteworthy would be appreciated.

The liner notes are pretty good on this guy on the recordings I've seen.
The tragedy is that he died young, killed in the WWI when the Germans
attacked and burned his house.  A lot of his music was burned in that fire.

Roger Hecht