From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:31:49 -0300
Robert Peters on Haydn's "The Creation":

>The oratorio begins with the representation of the chaos.  The CD booklet
>says this beginning is extremely dissonant music.  I didnt hear that, in
>the contrary: it sounded harmonious to me.  What is the reason?

Actually, the beginning of "The Creation" is not exactly dissonant, but
tonally unstable.  The music jumps from one key to another (there's even
no defined key in some passages, I think) and one can't perceive clearly a
main theme.  According to XVIII century norms of musical order, this piece
of music is "shapeless", a true Chaos.

Pablo Massa