From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:14:27 +1000
Peter Varley wrote in response to me:

>...  the posting went on to defend Berg and Schoenberg, including the
>latter's 2nd String Quartet (which isn't atonal IIRC).

Quite right it's not strictly atonal.  It's not quite there yet, almost
but not quite.  But it's close enough.  If it's not quite atonal it's not
quite tonal either.  It's so on the brink to the next step that it's an
essential work to listen to explore as a stepping stone in Schoenberg's
wonderful spiritual journal.  That's why I chose to recommend it.  To
Schoenberg, going beyond tonality was a process of transcendentality not
unlike the wild mysticism of Scriabin which similarly took him to the brink
of atonality.  This is something which you can experience with great
immediacy in the Second String Quartet with the words 'ich fuehle Luft von
anderen Planeten' (I feel the air other planets).  The work remains so
utterly Viennese, and very much a consolidation of the heritage of Brahms
and Schubert.  My favourite recording is still that from Margaret Price
and the La Salle Quartet.  The Britten SQ's version is quite appropriately
coupled with Schubert's 'Death and the Maiden' Try it - you may never take
anyone seriously again who goes on and on about how dry and academic
Schoenberg sounds.

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia
akima69@ozemail,com.au