From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:09:23 -0500
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Last Saturday, I went to the Tower in Paramus, NJ.  Lately, based on the
>most recent catalog, I've been on a Naxos binge, so I went to load up.
>Instead of selling for the usual price of $6.99, the discs were going for
>$5.99, not exactly a clearance sale price.

The clearance sale pricing is based on the retail price point.  Discs from
14.99 up are discounted 3 bucks, 10.99-13.99 are 2 bucks off, below 10.99
are discounted a dollar.  The wholesale cost of Naxos is just under four
bucks a cd.  That's a two dollar markup at 5.99 or about 33%.  Consider
that the clothing you wear retails at up to 200% markup, you are still
getting a pretty good deal.  Had you purchased some more expensive things,
the discount would have been in proportion.

Kevin