From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:14:18 +0200
Karl wrote:

>Before I do some looking, are you interested in the first twentieth century
>work with the title of a Concerto for Orchestra, or earlier, or the notion
>of a Concerto Grosso in times subsequent to the baroque?

I am interested in the first twentieth century work with the title
*Concerto for Orchestra*.  Who invented this term?

Achim Breiling

 [Just for grins, here are some I know of, with dates:

   Hindemith     Concerto for Orchestra, Op. 38  1925
   Verhey        Concerto for Orchestra, Op. 43  1929
   Kodaly        Concerto for Orchestra          1939
   Diamond       Concerto for Small Orchestra    1940
   Bartok        Concerto for Orchestra, Sz 116  1943
   Bacewicz      Concerto for Orchestra          1948
   Lutoslawski   Concerto for Orchestra          1954
   Carter        Concerto for Orchestra          1969
   Danielpour    Concerto for Orchestra          1996

 I'm not counting anything for string orchestra, or with "grosso" in
 the name.  Looks as though it just might have been Hindemith.  -Dave]