From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 00:38:39 -0700
Donald Satz wrote:

>Andyrs Basten was not pleased with my opinions about the Argerich/Dutoit
>recording of the Concerto in F minor and wrote:
>
>>That's a very problematical statement.  "...any high standards"? Or
>>Don Satz's personal standards (we all have this type).
>
>Of course they are *my* standards, my opinions, my conclusions, and my
>recommendations.  I don't have anything else to go by.

Don, the word "any" high standards goes outside the 'my opinion' so I was
drawing attention to that.  In my view, the many fine pianists playing
these days all play to some high standards or they would not have so many
intelligent listeners enthusiastic about them.  It doesn't make sense to
me.

I tend to believe that with those at a certain level, whether or not
we cotton to how they play will be a measure of our own taste or what we
prefer in what we hear, and while I might draw attention to the things I
don't like or do like I'd myself not be quite so overall dismissive of any
of them who have reps on this level as to say their playing of something as
not meeting any high standards.

When I do engage in comparison I tend to say what about the performances,
in more specific terms, were displeasing or pleasing to me, but my note to
you expressed surprise at the quote above and also in your characterizing
these as "ordinary" when that is likely the least apt adjective in her case
though I recognize that some just won't like her style of playing and
that's to be understood.

>Andrys mentioned the review of the Argerich/Dutoit by Bob Stumpf.  I read
>Bob's review and many others before embarking on my survey, and I made a
>point of highlighting that the recording had received much praise from
>others.  I felt that was the right way to handle things; I didn't want any
>list members thinking that there was not a great deal of support for the
>cd.

Well, I do hope you post these reviews with the idea people MIGHT respond
to things you say.  I mean, this is not a Reviews column but a forum and
you will get feedback like this when saying something rather provocative.
Remember that I did not respond to your first evaluation.

The degree of your displeasure was even more highlighted with the 2nd part
and you will just get responses to that kind of thing.  I think my response
may be better than no response at all, as you know I am reading you.

>or listening environment.  I found it interesting that Bob considers the
>performances highly romantic; I didn't notice that, and after playing it
>again tonight, I still don't notice it.

That's amazing!

>Bob also mentioned that Argerich glides through the keyboard while someone
>like Pollini gives high priority to each note being precise.  That might be
>an aspect of her playing I did not appreciate.

Nothing undue about that.  Some people prefer extremely clarity and
a pristine almost crystalline touch which Pollini has.  In some cases
then they will be upset by the degree of pedal or accented legato phrases
which keep the tone going whereas with other pianists there is a dip in
tone-level between notes which adds to keyboard clarity, preferred by some.
For people like me who prize the continuous tone of singing or wind
instruments (no loudness dips between notes), I will like more pedal- use
or strongly voiced legato than others.

>You know, I've been waiting for months for someone to display a lack of
>agreement with my conclusions about surveyed recordings.

What does this mean? I am the only one in months to ever post disagreement
with something you said in your reviews? I think it's a plus that I took
your reviews so seriously as to do that.

>direction from where I'm headed, some will pay me no attention at all, and
>I know that some tend to share my preferences.  And I sincerely hope that
>I will have better things to say about Argerich and Dutoit in the Concerto
>in E minor.

I don't think that matters in the least.  We all have at least mildly
different responses to music making and often wildly different ones.  If
the Chopin concerti don't please you, I doubt that you will like much else
that she does.  And that's just Life.

>Regardless, I'll provide my honest opinions and state them
>definitively unless I'm feeling confused.

Just don't expect in a forum that the reviews are never met with some
disagreement or question though.

In the Internet newsgroups there is a fellow (Simon Roberts) who does
comparative reviews and he is usually met with wild thanks for what he does
with these and -also- with honest opinions that might vary from his or
agree with them.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books