From:
Phil Spressart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:34:59 -0400
I just started receiving this service two days ago and I've learned
more about classical music than I have in the last 2 years.  I am an avid
classical listener and have been trained as a classical pianist since I
was 3.  I understand Jeremey McMillan's frustration about the supposed
connection between the ability to play an instrument (or instruments) and
the apparent heightened intelligence.

I feel it lend itself to the fact that most musicians are in some way
gifted enough that they are able to think in a way non-musicians can't.  It
goes for all those in fine arts.  I've known painters who fit into the same
boat.  It might be because of the high expectations people place on us to
perfect our art and the high level of discipline it requires that transfers
to other parts of our life.  What do you think?

Phil Spressart