From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:56:21 -0500
John White wrote:

>About 40 years ago, I distinctly remember hearing a broadcast by the
>BBC of Beethoven's 2nd Symphony with what was referred to as the original
>Andante which Beethoven was said to have discarded in favour of the present
>Larghetto...

John, here is what I found out.

On pg. 165 of volume I/1 the Henle edition of Beethoven's complete
works (not the famous Breitkopf and Hartel edition, but the new "critical
edition" being published now) there is a description of some of the
sketches for the Second Symphony.  One paragraph describes an Andante found
in the so-called "Kessler Sketchbook".  Since I don't speak or read German,
I'll give the original here.  (If someone wishes to translate or give a
synopsis for the rest of the group, please feel free to do so.)

   "Ein Entwurf zu einem Andante G-dur im 3/8-Takt ... der mehrfach
   in Zusammenhang mit der 2.  Symphonie gebracht wurde ... kann nach
   Sieghard Brandenburg trotz der Ueberschrift "sinfonia" nicht fuer
   op.  36 bestimmt gewesen sein, da er erst nach den ausgedehnten
   Skizzen zum II.  Satz in Landsberg 12 geschrieben wurde.  Es ist
   unwahrscheinlich, dass Beethoven zu einem Zeitpunkt, da die Arbeit
   bereits so weit fortgeschritten war, einen voellig neuen II.  Satz
   konzipierte."

Judging from the few words I understand, the work is in G major, the
wrong key (at the time) for a symphony in A major such as the Second.
Also, I doubt the sketch is a fully worked out movement; my guess is that
the recording/broadcast you heard is a reconstruction or orchestration of
what was given in the sketches.  A transcription (and facsimile?) of the
Kessler Sketchbook has been published by the Beethovenhaus in 1978 if your
interested in seeing a first-hand copy of the sketch:  it's located on
folio 8v, systems 1-4.

And as far as a recording and score go, I haven't been able to find a copy
of either in a brief search of a library database (WorldCat/OCLC).

I hope this helps!

Mark K. Ehlert