From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:07:51 -0400
Dave Lampson wrote:

>Yes, Vivaldi did compose an opera with the title "Montezuma" (Motezuma),
>RV 723.  The German composer Carl Heinrich Graun (1704-1759), 19 years
>Vivaldi's junior, also composed an opera by that name.  The Graun can be
>found on Capriccio 60032 and the Vivaldi on Astree 8501.

Didn't Frederick the Great also write an opera or Sinspiel called Montezuma?

"Richard Todd" <[log in to unmask]>

 [I don't believe any complete vocal works by FtG are extant.  The New
 Grove mentions some arias he contributed to various efforts, especially
 the operas of Graun, though Montezuma is not mentioned.  Two secular
 oratorios are listed as lost.  OK, I just found the connection.  FtG
 supplied the libretto to Graun's Montezuma.  See my response to Mats
 in this same thread.  -Dave]