From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:58:16 +0100
Call me sentimental if you like, but I am moved by performing music close
to the final resting place of its composer.  I've done this a few times,
since Cathedral musicians are often buried in their old workplace (Purcell
being perhaps the most famous British example).  A few years ago I sang
some canticles by William Child in St.  George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
Our conductor hadn't realised that Child spent most of his working life in
Windsor and is buried in the side aisle of the chapel.  The clergy there
were delighted and assumed (since Child is hardly well known even in church
music circles) that we'd chosen his music specially.  If you believe that
Henry VIII wrote _Greensleeves_, we could have done that there too (there
is a carol that has appropriated the melody).

Virginia Knight
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html