From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:20:36 -0300
Prof. Bernard Chasan replies [about Mahler's Ninth]:

>>What kind of parody are we going to perceive in a work which musical
>>history, by those times, had overpassed?".
>
>So why does the Ninth Symphony still live? Why do many of us still
>value it and listen to it?

Well, a good question:  simply because it's one of the greatest symphonies
ever written.  I was tryng to say that its values as a "sociological" or
"historical" document of its times are very limited, compared to another
contemporary works.

>Perhaps music is not identical with sociology

That's exactly my point.

Pablo Massa