From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:30:02 -0500
David Harbin:

>Can I ask: do you think that someone can become addicted to buying
>classical CDs?

Sure.

>Do you get a rush of adrenalin when you savour the thought of that next
>purchase?

Yes.

>Has your collection grown so large that you couldn't possibly
>listen to half of it again in a month?

Long, long ago.  But if I could play it all in two months I'd be concerned
about getting sated with the very special pieces I'd limited my collection
to.  Preventing that is a good reason for having enough music available for
the peaks and valleys of enjoyment, when possible.

>Do you feel just a tiny bit embarrassed, wondering where all of the money
>has gone, when you take a guilty glance at those piles of CD cases?

If they were purchased with an adequate amount of discretionary income
for recreation and the arts, last indefinitely, yield intense satisfaction
when played (or even sit available for use), and provide income for
musicians and others in the music business (which seems so much more
worthwhile than other lines of work I won't mention) then whence the
guilt or embarrassment?  Of course if you have a really BIG habit that
puts you in debt, takes food from the hungry (now there's a guilt-ridden
consideration), etc., then that's another matter.  Best to think oneself a
minor patron of the arts if spending on recordings becomes significant.
Very many of them would never see the light of day if some people were not
avid collectors.  But don't let me encourage any personal irresponsibility.

>Do you think that the process of purchasing and buying the CD has
>overtaken the enjoyment of the music itself?

No. I just wish there were more time for listening.

Jim Tobin