From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:29:38 -0700
Stirling Newberry wrote:

>I challenge these supporters to come up with what he does stand
>for - in a positive sense.

You allude to having read my essay prepared for the particular performance
in question.  If so, start with that.  I am not going to repeat myself into
a void.  If Janos Gereben likes Scelsi less & less, that is certainly his
business, but I stick by my original statement that his response means
Scelsi is nonetheless provoking a reaction.  I mean no personal disrespect
to Janos Gereben, but I did think his response was very predictable.

For those who may be in the dark, the San Francisco Symphony program notes
are available online:

   http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/scelsi/konx.html

There is also a second part of the essay which did not appear in the
Symphony's program.

The earlier discussion of the Aion performance is also available, and since
Aion includes more development, there is more discussion of development per
se:

   http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/scelsi/aion_note.html

The essays otherwise repeat themselves more than might be desirable, but it
was at the Symphony's request, for fairly obvious reasons.

That said, it is unlikely that I am going to enter into an extended
and detailed discussion in this forum, especially with people who aren't
genuinely interested, because I do not see where it is worth my time.  If
that makes me a poor supporter, so be it, but as I said originally, Scelsi
seems to be a "love him or hate him" composer, and I don't really see
anything wrong with that.

Todd McComb